jueves, 12 de abril de 2018

Scottish Love


Hi, people! I hope you are having an amazing week. I was thinking about what to write for this post. I have already talked about food, tv shows, teaching a language, learning a language, but I have never talked about one of my favourite things in the world; Scotland. I mean, yes, I have told you about my trip. But I have never told you why I love Scotland. So, this post is going to be fully dedicated to the Bonnie Scotland.



It is difficult to explain why do I love this place so much. There are some many reasons to love it. Walking in Edinburgh and get lost in its maze-like streets is really awesome.



I guess my first encounter with Scotland was when I was really young. I found a picture of a place called Dean Village. At that moment, I did not know the name of the place. I had to make a story with that picture. You know how there are people who are very creative, well I’m not one of them. I am terrible at creating something from a picture or a phrase. But, I really loved the photo, and I wanted to know where this picture was taken. I asked my teacher, and she did not know either. She told me that she took it from a magazine. So, years passed by and I met “the boy who lived.” I was so in love with the story of Harry Potter that I started digging on J. K Rowling’s background. I found out that she lived in Edinburgh, Scotland and wrote the books there. Immediately, I started looking up for pictures of Edinburgh. To my surprise, I bumped into with the same picture of Dean Village. 


What a coincidence! I did not remember all the details of the picture my teacher gave me, but I recognised the place. On that moment, I knew I was going to visit that place someday.
I started searching for information about the country and its culture. I read a lot about the battles and its folklore. All of a sudden, I started listening to Scottish music and watching documentaries, about the different cities. I learned about Nessie, Bobby and the Kelpies. I attended as many Scottish events as possible. I studied English because I really wanted to talk with Scottish people.

 By the way, Scottish people are the best. They are so nice and extremely easy-going people. I remember an old couple recommended that I should try something called “Irn-Bru.” They told me that I could not leave Scotland without trying the national drink. Of course, I did try it and I loved it.


I planned my trip for years, but life got in the way. I went through difficult times during my twenties, and I postponed my trip. But when I turned thirty, I decided to have a more positive view of life. I decided that I was going to do what I love, and I was going to do it now. I booked my tickets to Scotland, and I took my mother with me. She did not know anything about Scotland, but I taught her a lot about the places we were going to visit.
She fell in love with the country immediately. How can you not do it? Not matter where you look, you can see pieces of history. Castles, beautiful landscapes, magic and even a prehistoric monster you can find in Scotland.


There is nothing like making your dreams come true. I realized that it takes guts to really overcome your fears and say: “let’s do it!”
While I was walking among castles, and an extinct volcano, I was happy. I did not care about anyone and anything. It took time to make my dream come true. But it was like a movie, I dreamed it, and suddenly, I was there. I never had second thoughts about not going to Scotland. From the moment I fell in love with the country, I knew I was going to visit it. I did not know when, but I knew I was going to do it. Visiting this place was my motivation to overcome many bad things. I think that is the most important purpose of a dream.


Do you want to know something funny? When I planned my trip, I decided where I wanted to go. Two months after the trip, my favourite singer, Joss Stone, announced she was going to perform in Glasgow. I did not know if I was going to be able to get a ticket. I had to go to the Royal Hall Center to buy the ticket. I did not know where that place was. So, I was losing hope. When the bus from the airport left us in the bus station, I was crossing the street, and there it was. I saw the Royal Hall Center. I left my mother outside the building with our suitcases, and I ran to buy the ticket.


 I was able to buy it, and 8 days later I was watching Joss Stone live again. It was the first time Joss was singing accompanied by a live orchestra. Imagine this, your favourite singer in your favourite country and with a live orchestra. And this was not planned at all. But there is more, after the concert, I was outside the building waiting for my bus and Joss was behind me waiting for her taxi. I had a picture of that moment, and it was so crazy.

So, If you ask me why do I love this country so much, it is because it gave me hope when I needed the most. Because it gave me a reason to face many things, and to believe that I could do what I want.


So, my advice to you is that even when everything looks hard, we can always find something to hang on to. It could be anything. In my case was to visit this lovely, and amazing country. I gained not only confidence through this journey, but it also opened the door to the world. I love learning about languages, and cultures because of Scotland. I speak English, and work with the language, thanks to my love for Scotland.


Sorry for the long post, but if I have to speak about this country, you have to expect a long post from me.


I hope you have an amazing week. See ya!


2 comentarios:

  1. I completely agree with you: that is the main purpose of having a dream!!
    I also agree that Scotland is a beautiful and magical place!
    And do not apologiza for the long post...it is a pleasure to read it!!

    PS How was the exam of Korean?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi, Miss! The exam wasn't that difficult. In a couple of weeks, we are going to have another one. I'm glad you like the post.

    ResponderEliminar

Entrada destacada

And We are back!

Hi there! How are you? It’s been ages since we spoke. I enjoyed my holidays a lot. It's good to be back, though. If you are new here...

Entradas populares