domingo, 20 de agosto de 2017

Books, my old friends

How are you, mates? Hope you are alright. I had a rough winter break. But today I want to talk about something nice: my favourite books. When people ask me about my favourite book, always freak out. I have a favourite cat: my lovely Peeta. I have a favourite colour: green. I have a favourite drink: scotch. But I don’t have a favourite book. 

So, here you have a list of inspirational books that have changed my life.  

    Alice in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll)

I have already mentioned Alice in another post. I think Alice is easy to read, but difficult to understand. There are a lot of essays and articles about this book. Alice is the only book I read every year. It is kind of like a tradition. I have it in both languages, Spanish and English. What I learned from Alice is that even you feel alone, you can enjoy life no matter what.

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

 Harry Potter (J. K. Rowling)

Oh, Harry! The first time I read Harry Potter I was 15. I really fell in love with the story. I think the most important lesson I learned, with Harry’s story, is that we can all find happiness even if there’s dark around us. Life is not easy and sometimes is unfair. But we have to remember what J. K. Rowling says “We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.”
"You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve."-J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, and the Half-Blood Prince



         Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton)

The first time I watched Jurassic Park, I was 10.  From that moment on I wanted to be like Dr. Grant. After watching the movie, I read Jurassic Park and The lost world. Both books are amazing. The second one has nothing to do with the movie. I think this book was very important for me because it made me read a lot about science. I went to college to become a paleontologist. After a year studying that career, I decided that I wanted to work with animals that were not extinct. This book inspired me to study the scientific explanation of life.

“Scientists are actually preoccupied with accomplishment. So they are focused on whether they can do something. They never stop to ask if they should do something.” ― Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park



       11/ 22/ 63 (Stephen King)

You should know I love Stephen King. I think Stephen is the best writer ever. It is difficult to pick just one book from him. This book, in particular, is not a horror story. I would say it is a love story. The story is about a time traveler trying to save JFK. Jake Epping has to go back to 1958 and try to save more than one life. The book is very different from other stories Stephen writes. I think that I love this book so much because it gives you an important message: "life can turn on a dime."

“A person who doesn't learn from the past is an idiot, in my estimation.”- Stephen King, 11/22/63


    Black Beauty   (Anna Sewell)

We are going to get emotional. I love this book so much. If you love animals, as much as I do, you have to read this book. Black beauty is the fictional autobiography of a talking horse.  I love this book because you can see how animal lovers take care of him. But it also shows how people mistreat animals. I don’t want to say much about the story, but this book will do for horses what “Hachi: A dog tale” does for dogs. I had my own Black beauty, named Alexis, and sadly at the beginning of this year, he passed away. Every time I remember this horse’s story, I remember my beautiful Lex. I always remember something black beauty’s mother says, “Do good and give your best effort always and everything will work out.”

“We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words.”-  Anna Sewell, Black Beauty



 Black Beauty made me investigate more about animals. Thanks to it, and a relative who has helped me, I discovered a great author: Vitus B. Dröscher. He was a zoologist and a psychologist. He made more than 51 expeditions and wrote a lot of funny stories about animals. Even if you know nothing about animals, his writings are very clear and funny. Vitus B. Dröscher has published 30 books. He sadly died in 2010. The first book I read from him was “Sobrevivir.” I love his writing style and his sense of humour. What’s more, I became obsessed with his work, and I wanted to have all his books, but sadly they are so difficult to find. I bought most of them in second-hand bookstores in Buenos Aires. They were not all in good shape, but I could read them anyway. 






Thanks to these books, I also fell in love with second-hand bookstores. Whenever I go downtown, I visit different second-hand bookstores.

Lucas Libreria Av. Corrientes 1247 (My favourite by far) 
Libreria Aquilea Av Corrientes 2008
Compro Libros Av Corrientes 1471 
L y L libros Mitre 3966 
Libreria Thesauros  Ayacucho 373

Book recommendations 

The list of books I can recommend you is quite long. There are books that we should all read like; Gulliver’s Travel, Don Quixote, 1984, Lord of the flies, Moby Dick, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Brave New World, Frankenstein, Robin Crusoe, Dracula, Animal Farm, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Les Miserables, The Three Musketeers, The Wizard of Oz, The Jungle Book, Oliver Twist, The Metamorphosis and To Kill a Mockingbird.
I think that what I love more about books is that there’s nothing like them. Books have stories that can make you change your mood and even your life. I strongly believe that we can all get lost in a book, and find ourselves in one of them at the same time.

“I know I should never feel lonely or powerless again. So because of books, I’m here today, happy, living again with a purpose and clarity, most of the time. So may books be always with you.”- Lisa Bu


6 comentarios:

  1. Thanks. Good list.. I will keep it in my mind.😙

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I think that Stephen king is one of the most fantastic writer.Thanks for sharing this complete post!!Noelia

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Great post dude! I think that when love reading you can't choose just one book! XD

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Great Post Claudio!! It is very complete and you also suggest interesting books.. I will read one of them, and later I will let you know!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Lovely books!!! And I agree... it is not possible to choose just one book. Have you read anything by Paul Auster??

    ResponderEliminar

Entrada destacada

And We are back!

Hi there! How are you? It’s been ages since we spoke. I enjoyed my holidays a lot. It's good to be back, though. If you are new here...

Entradas populares